Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Spare time

When I'm given the opportunity to speak with musicians I respect, I try to learn more about their influences, so I ask questions like "What CD have you listened to recently that I should pick up?" or "What book have read recently that you liked?" or something similar.

Last month, when Andrew Peterson (www.andrew-peterson.com) was in town, he recommended (among other things) "Jayber Crow" - a book by Wendell Berry. It's "The Life Story of Jayber Crow, Barber, of the Port William Membership, as Written by Himself." The local library had a copy available, so I picked it up and read it.

Wendell Berry is one of the writers who is (apparently) successful in multiple genres. He's a prolific essayist, novelist, short-story writer, and poet. When someone writes that much with a fail level of popularity (or publishability), they tend to be kind of ho-hum in all areas, but I found Jayber Crow to be fascinating and well-written. It's the best book I've read in a while.

I know you're thinking "How exciting can a book about a barber be?" The answer is not very, but compelling and enjoyable nonetheless.

If you've got spare time (and you must since you're reading this), you should check it out.

5 comments:

Matty said...

Thanks for the recommendation.
I am currently in the midst of 2 nonfiction books which I recently borrowed (this is also relevant because I intend to return your Bryson book in the next few weeks). I have never been a non-fiction type of reader, but I have enjoyed both of these. One is circuitous and funny history of Australia and the other is an autobiographical story of General Vernon Walters. I only say this to show off my varied interests.
Maybe we should start a reading club to better accentuate our boringness.

Poe said...

I would read this book just for the odd title!
However I have been wading through books recommended by JM for a very long time... and there is no end in sight.
Maybe I should break step and read something you recommend...

Here is a strange and sudden recollection for you: Before I even moved to Colorado Springs, you were the first one to recommend a book to me... Do you remember what it was?

Anonymous said...

I don't know your ties to Andrew Peterson, but it sounds like you may have to talked to him unless he mentioned these books while on stage. If you ever want to get in touch with him, let me know. My sister in Nashville knows him - actually I think they are friends. Peace out coach.

The Coach said...

Poe,

I think it was Epic by John Eldredge.

The Coach said...

Aaron,

Actually, I see AP once a year at least; he's a family friend and my Father-in-law hosts a concert once a year at his church and then a house concert with AP. It's been a pretty fun relationship.

Your sister knows him though? Cool.