Saturday, November 14, 2009

End of an Era

For ten years, I have coached the boys' cross country team at the high school where I teach. On Thursday, I announced to current and future team captains that I will not return to coach next fall. This has been both the easiest and most difficult decision I've ever had to make.

I'm sure there will be days next fall when I question my decision, but the early-afternoon laughter of my two young sons will (and already does) overpower such doubts.

I have told my Cross Country boys again and again that "Life is a series of decisions you have to make about your priorities, and you must choose; indecision will cost you everything."

I have chosen my priorities, and it will be worth it.

2 comments:

Matty said...

I'm proud of you Coach (In this case I use the term as a mark of respect not as a pseudonym). You're a stronger man than I am and I pray you continue to have peace in you decision... you did the right thing.

mark and amanda said...

We applaud you decision, and have firsthand experience in how difficult such a choice is - but know that choosing others before yourself is always fulfilling! In another 10 years you can return to coaching if you wish, but time with your family can't be financially compensated. And it works out for us, as we'll get to see you guys more, when you would normally at a meet.