Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Hitchhiking on the Information Superhighway

If your neighbor plays his stereo so loudly that it penetrates your walls, no one accuses you of stealing if you listen to what he's playing, do they?

Getting internet of any speed at home costs money, unless you have a neighbor whose internet stereo penetrates your walls. My infrequent posting on this site since summer started is a direct result of not having consistent access to the internet (like I do at work). I occasionally can access the internet if I'm sitting with my laptop in the front door. The computer has to be at just the right angle, but when it is -- bingo! I'm connected!

What I'd like to do is talk to my neighbors whose signals I get at much higher levels (but which are password protected) and suggest that we share the cost together. $40 a month for high-speed is ridiculous, but $10 a month might be alright (think yearly: $480 or $120). $480 is a lot of dough to spend on something that ought to be free.

Anyway, I'm cheap (and poor), so I'll continue to have intermittent postings because not everyone will pick up a hitchhiker.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think sharing a signal would be a great idea! I can't stomach $40-$50 a month for cable internet either. We use DSL thru Qwest for about $20 a month and it's pretty fast (package deal). Hey, I got a great idea. I'll give you my password for FREE, and you can come over anytime and surf the web outside our front door! :)

You bring up a good question though...if your neighbor let you (i.e knew) use his signal, how what that be different then letting you come over and use his computer, cable, phone, etc? I think sharing the signal and cost would be a great way to stick it to the man. It's the the modern version of a party line!