Friday, June 15, 2007

Disappointment

Having never been turned down for a job in my life, I figured I was just about due. This morning, I called the man in charge of hiring for my even-dreamier-than-my-current-dream-job job (mostly because I was impatient), and they have a candidate on a visit to the institution and they have offered him the job. I can't imagine that he won't take it (or that I would be next in line if he were to turn it down), so I think this is my first rejection (ignoring of course a litany of turn-downs from girls).

I am, of course, disappointed but resolved to be content with what I have many times declared to be a dream job - I get to teach fun classes, coach a sport I love, and influence young men and women in the most important aspects of their lives. I pretty much knew this was coming, and I can't say that I hadn't daydreamed that I would be the successful candidate for this, but here I am, nonetheless.

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement and support.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I applaud your effort. You never never hear yes (or no) unless you ask. Well, I guess you'll have to settle for your other dream job! As you say, it's a great gig - and other people think that too.

Matty said...

Even though I doubt that my children will ever go to your current school, I am heartened by the thought that you will still be forming the minds and morals of tomorrow. Sorry about the disappointment but I know PC will be so much the better for your remaining in its hallowed halls…OK that last part may have been a little over the top, but the point still stands.