Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Best book I've read in ages...

I was reading my sister-in-law's blog today, and she had written about her penchant for U.S. Presidents and Presidential history. It brought this book to mind because the man is Presidential (with an intentional capital P).

Okay, so I finished this book several weeks ago, and you may not give two darns about track and field, but I really couldn't put it down. In fact, I enjoyed the book so much I actually wrote a thank you note to the author.

If you don't know who Bill Bowerman is, here's the brief run-down:
  • He founded Nike
  • He was the catalyst for America's running boom
  • He is quite possibly the most influential college coach of all time (and I know there are some out there who might suggest Bear Bryant, Knute Rockne, or Mike Krzjewqks2i, Bobby Knight, etc.)
  • He was a member of the greatest generation and as a member of the 10th Mountain Division effected the surrender of a German division in the Italian Alps
  • He coached more Olympians than I can recall off hand, including but not limited to: Mack Robinson (1936 runner-up to Jessie Owens and Jackie Robinson's brother), Olympic Gold-Medalist and world-record discus thrower Mac Wilkinson, Gold Medal Marathoner Frank Shorter, 2-time Olympian (and author of the book) Kenny Moore, the legendary Steve Prefontaine (someday I'll write a post about him), 1964 Bronze medalist Bill Dellinger (who also coached Prefontaine), and a slew of others
  • He was also the head USA Track & Field coach at the 1972 Munich Olympics
The book is huge, at least two and a half inches thick, and it covers Bowerman's life from well before he was born through his youth, college, army service, early coaching, the founding and growth of Nike, and retirement years.

You all know I'm a coach, and I want to model myself after this guy. I also wish I could write like Kenny Moore.

Anyway, the point of this is that if you're in need of a good, long read, pick up this book.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I am always intrigued by biographies, and I remember reading what I think was an excerpt from this book in Runner's World. I might have to pick that up--thanks for the tip!

Matty said...

For thoughtful inspired writing, I just rely on this blog...seriously....I don't really have a choice.

I'll check it out when I get home.

Aaron said...

Right on - there's nothing like a good book!