Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Circle of Friends

Matt's blog recently featured a discussion about the pros and cons of social networking sites/technologies, and this morning I ran across this story from the BBC News about a recent study on the "optimum" number of friends a person should have.

The article suggests that as people become more busy because of the demands placed on them by modern technological life and yet still have more "friends" that those friendships become more superficial.  Perhaps 5 close friends is the ideal?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Well I guess Jesus had 12 close friends and a lot of superficial friends... so maybe that should be our yardstick? To all of you who are ready to berate me on that.... I'm just kidding.

Matty said...

I think the article's contention is probably correct in so much as the superficiality of most friendships is related inversely to how much effort is put into that relationship. Since social networking provides a very easy and non-committal method of maintaining contact, those friendships will cost less and thus likely have less value to both parties. For instance, were 2 people to hand write short letters to each other as often as most folks write on a friends facebook wall, they would probably consider themselves good friends (otherwise they wouldn't invest the time and effort).

On the other hand, with these sites a person can stay in virtual contact with a close friend all day when they might have otherwise had no contact whatsoever, thus bolstering that relationship.

The reality of the question is this... I'm 7000 miles away so who am I to chime in on the subject? My perspective is skewed and my relationships are jacked up by distance anyway... what's a little Twitter going to hurt, right?