Sunday, April 22, 2007

Baal & Molech Worship

Don't take this the wrong way, but I have come to appreciate how ancient worshipers could indeed sacrifice their infant children to Baal or Molech or any one of those ancient, blood-thirsty deities.

I've been doing some reading, and it seems that all of these ancient worship services were held at two or three in the morning and lasted several hours. The infant was generally expected to be cutting teeth or to have an ear infection or at least be screaming at the top of his lungs for the duration of the service. The sacrificer would finally look at the sacrificee and say, "I can't take this for another second" and that would be it.

Nowadays, of course, we're more civilized and we've replaced such ancient superstitions with Orajel (nighttime formula for the kid) or Jack and Coke (nighttime formula for the adult).

2 comments:

Matty said...

This is brilliant stuff. I laughed and read it aloud to co-workers. I reference it in mine today about Campbell's b-day.

Anonymous said...

Just because this isn't practiced anymore doesn't mean it doesn't still cross people's minds as a viable option! :)

Hey, I told Matt about a way we can still compete until we're 90...and show all these fools we still got D-20 power. I won't let you in on my secret until Wednesday night, but I think it could be a cool summer adventure for us 3.