Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Christmas vs. Easter

Easter is my favorite holiday. I know people will argue that Christmas is better, but allow me to explain:
  1. The death and resurrection of Christ are essential to the faith. Without them, our faith is worthless because a) we are still in our sins, and b) we have no hope for life after death (if Christ is not raised, how can we believe that we will be).
  2. Easter is in the spring which means a) school is almost out, b) my birthday is approaching (4/16), and c) we'll get more snow (I live in Colorado where we have more white Easters than we do Christmases - global warming? or just climate change?)
  3. My family's annual Christmas letter (it's likely you already got one, but if you didn't and you want one, post a comment, and I'll figure out how to get you one).

The annual late Christmas letter started the second Christmas after we got married, and we had to send out Christmas cards. We took a photo with us and the dog in front of the Christmas tree, and included them with a short synopsis of our lives. We got them out just after Christmas time, and every year, we've pushed the date back. The letter has sort of taken on a life of its own, and now it's become sort of a spring break tradition.

We try and make it creative and concise yet complete because Christmas letters should sum up an entire year of your life for people who aren't in contact with you all the time. This also makes spring a good time to send it out because people aren't inundated with letters and cards that they glance at, pull out the picture, and forget about; I think (at least I hope) that people actually read the letter because it comes at a down time for family summaries.

Anyway, happy Easter and Merry Christmas, all at once.

1 comment:

Matty said...

I forgot to mention that I loved the "Christmas" letter. Very funny, particularly if you know Curtis. You should blog about him, complete with a recent photo, for any reader who doesn't get to see him much.