Monday, December 8, 2008

Made in the USA

Struggling with supporting our own economy or supporting my own economy.

As the PaceWheel's success continues, we are expanding our product line to include Strengthwheel - a weightlifting calculator. But, as we approach the final design phases and move toward production, I'm in a bit of a quandary.

I can cut my production costs by nearly half AND produce in plastic (for more durability) by outsourcing. Alternately, I can produce it Stateside for what PaceWheels cost me (in UV-Coated cardstock) or for about 50% more than PaceWheels cost me (in Plastic).

The bottom line is: is my bottom line the most important thing here? How important is "Made in the USA"? How valuable is "Made in the USA"? I certainly can't just look out for number 1, but it is an important factor. Weigh in, and let me know what you think.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will not condemn you if you outsource. I prefer "made in america," but "assembled in the USA" isn't so bad - as it strikes a nice compromise.

Realistically, you have to do what is best for PaceWheel - so I don't imagine that competative runners who's shoes are stitched by 8 year old boys and girls would stress about the missing the old red, white, and blue.

Last point, how are you going to sell more pacewheels if the originals don't fall apart at some point...

The Coach said...

That's reassuring - a little.

To your last point: for now, at least, the PaceWheels are still going to be in cardstock. They are certainly sturdy enough to withstand years of use as they are - I've used mine for two full seasons of handing out to athletes at practice every day (and athlete don't treat them with lots of care) with no signs of falling apart particularly. In fact, I've only replaced one for a coach who destroyed one; his kids left it out in the rain, and it became waterlogged and disintegrated.

The project in question is the up-and-coming Strengthwheel which will hopefully hit weightrooms in mid-January. I suspect the amount of use might necessitate increased durability, though I'm actually leaning towards continuing their manufacture in cardstock not as much for cost or actual loyalty to my original printer but because he's local and, consequently, I can be around in person for the printing process and give myself at least the illusion of some control.

Matty said...

To be honest, there is no good solution. I will point out the only reason that your product (or any product) can be manufactured in China for such low cost is because the Chinese government buys and sells massive amounts of USD and US debt in order to artificially devalue their own currency thereby making their manufacturing substantially cheaper than the opposition.

Were you to manufacture your product elsewhere where the exchange of goods and services is more equitable, I am not opposed provided you are willing to ensure that your source abides by general standards of fair employment.

Of course in the current economy it would be more patriotic to just make it with quality material here by holding the lower cost over the heads of the local folks until they cut you a deal.

How do you like that... 3 paragraphs and not a single answer. I may run for president!

The Coach said...

Hmmm. My Chinese isn't that good anymore anyway.