Friday, February 9, 2007

The end of the game...

Anna Nicole Smith is dead, and while a blog might be a great place to make tastless jokes about the dead, I can’t bring my self to it. Last night just before she fell asleep, my wife said Anna Nicole’s death made her think about how hard we work to ensure a certain future that we can’t control.

 

I haven’t read any newswires or seen more than a few snippets on the TV about her death, but I’m pretty sure none of them are talking about how sad it is that she worked so hard and sold herself to have financial security and to live in excess.  My wife said she probably thought that acquiring that fortune of hers would ensure her security until she was 80 or 90, but now it doesn’t matter at all.  All of that effort came to nothing.

 

The queen and the pawn do indeed go into the same box.

 

3 comments:

Matty said...

Well said. Somber thoughts. I heard a caller on a radio show this morning contend that it isn't a tragedy that Smith died. He meant that it wasn't a tragedy for American culture (and I understand this), but I was saddened that she all but sold her soul for the adoration of a public that didn't see the inherant tragedy (as a fellow human) of her death. Shame on us for fawning over celebrities only to throw them out like so many of the People magazines they appeared in.

Kacie said...

Wow - I didn't even know she had died until I read your post. What a sad way to go -- in the news constantly because of scandal and junk. I'm sad for those who cared about her.

Matty said...

I’m jealous. In reading the comments you receive, I count no less than 4 actual readers. I seem to be stuck at about (or exactly) half that, if you count me. Thanks for jumping in, Kacie!