Thursday, February 22, 2007

Salmonella's my favorite flavor


I’m a big fan of peanut butter, and I think the renaissance of my love for the legume delight was a trip to Meadow Muffins, Old Colorado City’s infamous brothel/opera house-turned-bar.

Meadow Muffins features an eclectic collection of silver screen memorabilia, including Moses’ baby basket from The Ten Commandments, some buckboard wagons from Gone with the Wind, and the famous fans from Rick’s Place in Casablanca. But my favorite part about Meadow Muffins is the Jiffy Burger.

Now the Jiffy Burger is pretty much your standard $6 Bar-and-Grill burger except is has a thick spread of peanut butter. When I saw it on the menu, I thought “Disgusting.” And yet, I tried it (if I had a nickel…).

Long story short, I loved the Jiffy Burger so much, that I started putting peanut butter on burgers at home, and then I put it on pancakes (which, I admit, other people have done before me). As if this post hasn’t gone on long enough, I am happy to report that despite the fact that I have two nearly-empty jars of the recalled peanut butter (Wal-Mart’s “Great Value” brand) from which I have eaten diligently and from which I have fed starving students over the last year, no one has gotten sick.

This isn’t going to stop me from submitting to the recall and collecting my $3.16 including tax for each practically empty jar.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well played, well played. Might I suggest finishing the jar before returning? You may be able to get more money back if you stagger into Walmart screaming obscenities (turets) and holding an empty jar.

May I also suggest jelly on grilled cheese? Trust me, just trust me.

Matty said...

I am pleased to see you back in the saddle, though simultaneously disgusted by the mere thought of a Jiffy Burger. I guess I have to try it before I knock it. Thanks for satisfying my addiction to clever yet mostly pointless commentary.

Kacie said...

The Jiffy Burger sounds vomitous to me, so I'll probably just take your word that it's good and not ever try it myself.

Don't forget to eat the best sandwich ever with that salmonella PB: peanut butter and mayonaise. Mmm! If you really want to spruce it up, add bolognia, lettuce and cheddar cheese. I love how my mom talked us kids into experimenting with food: we all liked PB and mayo; we all liked PB and bologna and mayo andd bologna; we all liked bologna and cheese and lettuce, so why not smoosh them all together and eat them that way? Did I ever mention that I'm from Missouri? Need I say more?

Matty said...

KC, being from Missouri is nothing to be ashamed of. PB, mayo, etc on the other hand...

The Coach said...

I do believe a grilled cheese with jelly would be good. I'm also a big fan of the Monte Cristo sandwich. It's got a layer of ham with swiss and a layer of turkey with cheddar with three pieces of bread and then the whole deal is deep fried and served with raspberry jelly or honey.

It's delicious and probably has its origins in some backwater state loaded with obese people (though Washington, DC isn't a state).

Matty said...

Coach,
It's not that I doubt that it takes a certain lack of regard for a healthy diet to invent a deep-fried sandwich, but having family all over the south, I don’t see, for instance, my cousin Jimmy inventing this tasty treat and then naming it a “Monte Cristo”. I’m leaning towards a name like “deep fried sandwich”.

Anonymous said...

Those are three names I enjoy; PB, Mayo, and Provo(lone). But enough about the sandwich...let's talk about something fun, like magic. :)

Matty said...

Aaron,
I love Fletch! You get my "Best Adapted Quote of the Week" award. Provo(lone)! That slays me.