Thursday, February 15, 2007

On being quotable

I spend a lot of my time as a teacher and a coach trying to get kids to remember something I say; consequently, I spend a lot of time planning clever (and hopefully memorable) witticisms that also strike deep.

In a recent comment to a post on Slick's blog, I wrote that "Hard work beats talent when talent won't work hard." I know I'm probably not the first person to say it even though I made it up myself (like "heavy lifting for a hefty living"). Anyway, like Marconi is often given credit for the radio (even though he invented/discovered it at the same time as someone else), I'd like to be given credit for this saying. Unfortunately for my desperately hungry but frail ego, such a thing is unlikely. I mean, I can't even figure out how to post an article on Wikipedia, and I don't yet have a son who is willing to be a historical revisionist and make me into a better man on paper than I was in person (think Todd Lincoln, plus I'd have to get gunned down in a theatre). And I'm not that much of an egomaniac that I would rewrite my autobiography just to make myself more popular (think Davy Crockett or Michael Moore or see Fat Matt's post on the current speaker of the house).

Well, most coaches' quotes are misquoted anyway. Lombardi said that his famous quotation about winning being the only thing was not something he ever said. Or at least that's what somebody says he said about not saying what everyone says that he said.

6 comments:

Matty said...

It is unfortunate that no matter how cleverly we quip, we will not be given our proper credit. That’s why blogging is such a beautiful thing. There always exists the chance, no matter how remote that we might be read by someone outside our immediate circle and thus achieve rhetorical immortality. Meanwhile, you and I can keep up our practice so that we are prepared when we break onto the Wikipedia scene. By the way, do you have it set up to email you when you get a comment on your blog? Oh, and I wanted to remind you to check Kacie’s blog if you haven’t yet. http://sneezerkacie.blogspot.com/

The Coach said...

I have indeed finally set my blog to email me with any comments sent my way. It saves me probably 20 five-second checks every hour as I am obsessed to see what people (okay, the four of you) think about what I write. I'm seriously not an egomaniac. And you can quote me on that.

Matty said...

Now is the time to point out that just because it is quotable, does not make it true. Take for example these quotes:

“Peace in our time.” – Neville Chamberlain

“We [The Beatles] are bigger than Jesus.” – John Lennon

“Ears taste like chicken.” – Mike Tyson

Think of these when you ask me quote you about your not being an egomaniac.

Anonymous said...

Tell me truthfully, do I have to be intelligent to post comments on your blog? You and Matt have me beat in that category. Plus, I'd much prefer to be the annoying smartarse that you wish you never gave your blog site to. Anyways, since I'm not that smart I have to steal material...

Check this site out: http://www.boardofwisdom.com/ Some quotes are really good, others funny.

The Coach said...

I'm glad to have another smartarse on board.

Matty said...

I figure this will make it to you as soon as it goes up.

I must complain about the drastically reduced posting frequency. Did you give up blogging for Lent? I need my fix!!